Getting a harness or leash on or off your dog can be a tricky process if your dog is super excited about walks or uncomfortable with handling around the head. Here are some tips to successfully harness on and harness off.
- Practice this skill when you DON’T need to walk your dog.
- Use a stuffed Kong so your hands are free to manipulate the harness while you are rewarding the dog.
- Start slow if your dog is uncomfortable with the process. Forcing the issue will lead to problems later.
- Present the harness (or leash) and reward with a stuffed Kong.
- Take away the harness and remove the Kong.
- Your dog learns: Harness arrives = awesome wet food/Harness disappears = wet food disappears.
- Be careful not to catch your dog’s skin in the clasps.
- Practice, practice, practice!
Click here for a video about harnessing your dog.
Looking for a top notch dog trainer/behavior expert in Greater Fort Lauderdale? Please call Oh Behave Dog Training at 954-587-2711 now for a free phone consultation.